Thursday, January 19, 2012

OCD

I have OCD. And I know it can be a bit of a joke sometimes, but in all honesty, it's not easy having these 'ticks' eat at you all the time.

Anyways...

Ayda and I were giving the play-doh another go yesterday.

She wanted me to take out each color from the container. As she was pulling them apart, and playing with it, I noticed the colors were mixing together.

Immediately, my OCD started to kick in. I started thinking, she's going to ruin the different colors, it won't be as nice now... I wanted to tell her to stop.

I had to literally stop myself, re-direct my thoughts, and start to self-talk/think- It's okay, this is how the toy is meant to be played with, it's no big deal, and she is having fun.

I no longer felt bothered.

I have always felt that when we receive these sweet spirits, it is our duty as 'parents' to teach them.

This story may be a lame example, but from the moment Ayda has come into my life, she has been helping me become a better person. She is teaching me.

I just barely had a friend tell me that our kids are here to teach us patience. Yes. And so much more!

We had so much fun playing with the play-doh! And when Scott came home from work, he helped us make play-doh fish.

Ayda truly brings me joy, and the only way to describe it is heavenly!

3 comments:

  1. Julie, I appreciate this post. If Claire could learn that self-talk, it would really help her. She has some similar problems. It gives me encouragement that you can successfully deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. julie! you and i are kindred spirits. seriously! i'm OCD too and it still makes me cringe when emmi mixes the colors and it turns into diarrhea poop doh.

    i'm so glad you are having so much fun with miss ayda. she's seriously adorable and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the mixing of play-doh too. I never used to let Cole do it, he could only have one color at a time but once I had two I don't care what they do as long as they're not screaming and yelling. :)

    ReplyDelete