Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Girls vs. Boys

I had to go to the doctor today.

As I was sitting in the waiting room,watching Ayda play with the toys they had, a little boy and his Mom came and sat by us. Ayda,of course, made friends with him. He looked a lot older than her, but he was actually her same age. They started playing and I struck up a conversation with his Mom. She asked me if I knew what I was having. I told her a boy. She replied with how nice it was that I was able to have one of each, and warned me that I had my work cut out for me. She said that with "boys" they have a lot more energy than girls, have a hard time sitting in one place, won't stay by you when you go to the store, and she is utterly exhausted by the end of the day.

She said that she knew "girls" had more emotional breakdowns, but boys were harder physically.

I just sat there, smiled, nodded, and thought to myself, you have no idea what my daughter  is capable of. And if this little guy inside of me is anything like her... I'm in trouble.

From the moment Ayda wakes up, she has energy to spare! She loves to run, climb,wrestle, jump, play. But not only does she love to do these things, she has incredible endurance, and can do them FOREVER!!! And she has no fear! The girl does not tire easily! Plus, she has a hard time sitting in one place for very long, and does not stay by me in when we go to the store. Oh, and she can be emotional too!

Don't get me wrong, I adore Ayda and her zest for life. She is truly a joy and so much fun! I just think it was funny that the girl assumed only "boys" could be physically exhausting.

It seems to me, that each kid has their own, unique personality regardless of their gender.

In all honesty, I'm writing this blog post for me. I'm trying to reassure myself that what that girl said couldn't possibly be true. That this little guy inside of me will come out calm, easygoing, relaxed, serene, obedient, a strong desire to do whatever I say and angelic.




Lovely!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Gotta love that every mom thinks she knows it all! Boys aren't always like that. Granted Max is definitely more "spirited" than Cole ever was but neither of them have half as much energy as Ayda. As far as I can recall everyone (besides Kelly) claims that boys are easier- I still want my girl.... :)
    This baby boy was totally meant to come here to you and Scott. I think you guys will be fine, he will probably be super chill!! On days that are too stressful for you ayda will have to come play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I meant everyone I've personally asked which is easier... I'm not claiming that everyone in the entire world besides Kelly thinks boys are easier....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Jules. Kids are what they are. Gender doesn't dictate easiness or energy level. And boys have plenty of tantrums and emotional ups and downs, too. I think society forces them to repress more as they get older, but the feelings are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that, by far, the easiest kids to raise are other peoples'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! LOVE this post and LOVE miss ayda.! what that mom said about boys is absolutely true, but yes, also true about your little firecracker. makes for a fun and eventful day. i can't wait to meet the newest little buckner. i hope he is calm and angelic and obedient too, but if he's not, you'll have double the fun! you are a wonderful mom and those kids are so lucky to have both you and scott.

    ReplyDelete